Today’s Metro Stories

… In addition to a pre-Labor Day look at what would happen to the Shore should Hurricane Earl arrive, a couple articles of note:

Did a Hunting Park murder stem from a group catfight?

A beef between two groups of mostly-underage girls snowballed into a deadly Feltonville shooting in June. Though a shooter hasn’t been arrested, a 17-year-old was ordered held for trial yesterday on multiple charges stemming from the June 27 death of Quinta Brown, 22.

At her preliminary hearing, one of Brown’s friends testified that a squabble between two groups, with words and punches exchanged, spilled over into the following evening when it turned deadly.

Sherena Williams testified that she was walking near 7th and Cayuga streets in Hunting Park with two friends – including her pregnant cousin – when a squabble broke out with a group of seven females including the 17-year-old.

The 15-year-old witness said when they crossed paths the next night, another fight broke out during which she heard “R- yelling ‘Shoot that b*tch! Shoot that b*tch!” before three shots were fired. Police arrived shortly thereafter. One woman in the other group left her child at the scene in a stroller, Sherena Williams testified.

R- now faces criminal conspiracy engaging murder, criminal attempt murder, aggravated assault and other charges.

And, more on the fatal hit-and-run of 24-year-old Celina Langan

An East Torresdale man who admitted his involvement in a July 11 fatal hit-and-run waived his right to a preliminary hearing yesterday. Manuel Albandoz, 40, of Worth Street, faces homicide by vehicle and other charges related to the collision at Torresdale and Adams avenues that left 24-year-old Celina Langan dead.

Judge Bradley K. Moss lowered Albandoz’s bail from $100,000 to $50,000 bond with conditions of home confinement and surrendering, or reporting his passport missing. The prosecutor was concerned Albandoz may flee country.

The nine relatives who attended the hearing included his sister Betzaida, an active Philadelphia police officer, and brother Jose, a retired corrections officer. Defense attorney Louis Savino Jr., who at a previous hearing said Albandoz had “had some drinks, got scared and left the scene,” noted that his client’s sister accompanied him when he turned himself into police 12-15 hours later. Initial DUI charges filed against Albandoz aren’t being pursued.

Assistant District Attorney Brian Zarallo said Albandoz hadn’t had a license for about 20 years and that his wife had reported the vehicle stolen earlier that night. Langan was riding her bicycle at the time.

Savino told Moss a “non-trial” outcome – meaning he could plead guilty – is likely, “though I can’t make a 100 percent commitment.”

1 comment for “Today’s Metro Stories

Leave a Reply