Yes, it’s few and far between that I issue these highly-sought after attaboys (and attagirls). The Killers live album. A Malaysian website. The anti-Kade movement. Ted Vigilante. Hulk throwing a bear. Those sorts of worthy things.
But, I do have a few that found their way to me during me, the bride and the unborn child’s European Vacation. I’m compelled to share them with you, in case you ever find yourself in Venice, Paris, Antwerp and/or London.
1. Take the Venice public water-taxi rather than a private boat from the airport to your hotel. Yes, taxis are boats there. Yes, it costs 95 Euro for a private one and 13 per person publicly for only taking about an extra half hour. But no, I’ve never seen a view like this from SEPTA, have you?
2. Eggs on burgers. I first tried one at Dansing Chocola in Antwerp. It more than made up for the BoJangles-like character for whom the bar (a bar that was packed at 2 p.m. on a Tuesday mind you) was named. Mmm is all I could say about the Chocola Burger. But then, a few days later, the Big Ben Burger at Prince of Wales Tavern just off Kensington High Street in London came, forcing me to double up on the Mmm-ing, and resolve to not eat burgers without fried egg atop them again. F’real? F’real.
3. Zwarte Piet.
4. I don’t know who this Esther chick is. But from what I could gather at every Paris Metro stop, she’s an orphan (for my Spanish friends, huerfano), and she’s terrible. Sure looks it.
5. They have smarter smart cars available to the public, which buys them because they can, which I would, if I could, but I can’t, so I won’t. Shame on America. Michael’s man in the mirror would be upset.
6. This wine:
7. Antwerp in Philly-like general, but this liqueur in particular:
8. Jazz and 90s. Jazzy takes on everything from November Rain to Personal Jesus. Factor in the high-end-hotel-bar on Christmas Night and the album just flat-out works.
9. And finally, this poor finger-crushed bunny. Poor wabbit.