545. Topeka, Kan. June 18. Man on motorcycle suffers critical but non-life-threatening injuries when struck by “what’s believed to be a 1980s to mid-1990s Buick” which fled the scene.
546. Mill Creek, Oreg. June 18. 24-year-old man suffers non-life-threatening injuries when struck by a small white pickup truck which “may be similar to an early 1980s Chevrolet S-10” that fled the scene.
547. Springfield, Mass. June 19. Police officer suffers minor injuries when struck by a vehicle which sped off, but was caught an hour or so later.
548. Lancaster, Pa. June 19. 15-year-old girl struck and seriously injured, including head trauma, by a vehicle that was later found abandoned; police catch up with the suspected hit-and-run driver.
549. Temple Terrace, Fla. June 19. 15-to-18-year-old man found critically injured in the street after an apparent hit-and-run; no vehicle description available.
550. Wilmington, NC. June 18. Man in his 20s serious injury after an altercation in a fast-food restaurant parking lot ends with a van striking him and fleeing.
551. Middletown, Ohio. June 19. Bicyclist suffers minor injuries after being struck by a vehicle which fled the scene.
552. Kansas City, Kan. June 19. Young child suffers non-life-threatening injuries after being struck by a “white four-door Toyota 4Runner” with a sticker that said “Richmond” which fled the scene.
553. Philadelphia. June 20. Two men seriously injured after being struck by a man who ran from the vehicle, which has since been impounded. Driver still on the lam.
554. Tulsa, Okla. June 20. 19-year-old struck, dragged and killed by a yet-identified vehicle.
555. Houston. June 20. 57-year-old woman sweeping outside her home struck and killed by a “a light-colored vehicle, possibly a gray Nissan or Honda” which fled the scene.
556. Minneapolis, Minn. June 20. 48-year-old man suffers broken leg and concussion after being struck by a vehicle which fled the scene.
557. Bridgeton, NJ. June 20. 49-year-old motorcyclist airlifted to hospital and 51-year-old passenger injured after being struck by possibly a “green Ford Club Wagon van” which was found abandoned blocks away from the scene from which it fled. Driver not located.
558. Santa Ana, Cal. June 20. 54-year-old man struck and killed by a yet-identified vehicle which fled the scene.
Regular readers already know that it looks like the Main Line queen of hit-and-runs Suzanne Lammers is a’gonna plead guilty, but it bears repeating (in more ways than one). Here’s my story on it in Friday’s Metro Philadelphia. And, the Philadelphia Inquirer’s story … from Saturday. (Let that be a lesson: You can suffer a TBI from getting run over by a car and still beat Philadelphia’s biggest newspaper to stories. *Takes bow*)
Of course there was a fatal hit-and-run in a World Cup town. There just had to be …
Two teenagers accused of a hit-and-run in which an American tourist died and two people were seriously injured in Gordon’s Bay, were each granted bail in the Cape Town World Cup Regional Court.
The case was postponed to June 23 for further investigation.
The son of a retired Israeli supreme-court judge was killed in a hit-and-run on Friday. That should go well.
More hit-and-run stories, including every volume of Hit-and-Run America (in reverse order), are accessible from this linked page. (The full Volume-by-Volume list will appear sporadically from now on.)