An ongoing collection of unsolved hit-and-run cases, with a focus on car/pedestrian incidents, from across the country since Jan. ‘010. If you know something about any of these incidents, or one that I’ve missed, do the right thing and call the police, even anonymously.
938. El Paso, Texas. Oct. 2. 33-year-old woman struck and killed by a light-colored sedan which caused a collision and fled the scene.
939. Somerset County, Pa. Oct. 2. 41-year-old man suffers head injury after being struck by a dark blue or black Ford Ranger with an extended cab which fled the scene. Witnesses got description of driver and passenger.
940. Dayton, Nev. Sept. 29. Motorcyclist suffers non-life-threatening injuries after being struck by a maroon four door sedan, the driver of which drove away. The driver of the motorcycle was taken to Renown Medical Center and treated for non-life threatening injuries; mid-90’s maroon sedan that looks similar to Toyota Camry or a Dodge Stratus, no hubcaps, a blue handicap permit on the rearview mirror.
941. Thibodaux, La. Oct. 1. 19-year-old man dragged 140 feet by a dark SUV, the driver which decided not to stick around to see if the man died. He didn’t, thankfully.
942. Odessa, Texas. Sept. 30. 31-year-old woman critically injured after being struck by black or silver Dodge Ram pickup which took off. Her boyfriend gave chase, to no avail. Her 11-year-old son saw the whole thing.
943. Greensboro, NC. Oct. 3. 16-year-old boy serious injured when struck by a gold Honda Accord which ran into him from behind and then took off. “I’m not mad at the accident,” the victim’s father said. “I’m mad the person didn’t stop and see about my son because my son could have been dead.”
944. Oroville, Ca. Sept. 30. 49-year-old man suffers minor injuries after being struck by a gray Honda Civic which fled, but the driver was later caught.
945 and 946. Denver, Colo. Oct. 3. 26-year-old man suffers major head injuries and slipped into a coma, and an unidentified female victim suffers serious injuries whe, while crossing the street with a group of people, they were struck by a grey SUV that took off.
947. Durant, Okla. Oct. 3. 7-year-old boy killed when he got hit by a car driven by a 21-year-old man who fled, but was later caught.
948. Georgetown County, SC. Oct. 3. 36-year-old woman killed after having hit a tree, she got out of the car and was struck by a passing Chevrolet 4-by-4 which didn’t remain at the scene.
949. St. Louis, Mo. Oct. 2. 9-year-old boy injured after being struck by a silver Oldsmobile or Dodge. “The driver initially got out and offered to help the victim, but witnesses said as the sound of police sirens drew nearer, the man got back into his car and drove off.”
950. Merrick, NY. Oct. 4. Woman injured after being struck by an undescribed car. Details just emerging as of this writing.
951. Findlay, Ohio. Oct. 3. Woman found dead in street after an apparent hit-and-run.
952. Mt. Rainier, Md. Oct. 3. Man in his 80s seriously injured when “crossing the street and a black SUV hit him. He kind of flew up into the air, and the car kept going. He never slowed down.” The driver fled but was later caught in another town.
And I quote (I) …
While Henry County (Ind.) authorities try to arrange a meeting with a person who might have been driving the car that struck and killed a Greenfield police bicycle officer, multiple tributes to honor him are being planned for next week.
And I quote (II) …
Police say the driver of a hit and run crash climbed up in a tree to hide, but they found him anyway and arrested him.
And I quote (III) …
Two Columbia (Mo.) parents and their five children are holding out hope someone will come forward to help them get back into transportation after an alleged hit-and-run driver destroyed their van. Kelly Smith and her husband Dominic said they were asleep when a crash woke them at 2 a.m. Thursday morning. Kelly rushed outside and made an alarming discovery. Her family’s only vehicle lay in a mangled mess, feet from where she had parked it in her driveway before going to bed.
“It was our family vehicle. It’s the only thing I had to take my kids to school in,” said Smith.
Another car was flipped over in her driveway with smoke rising from it. That’s when Smith said she saw a man take off running.
And I quote (IV) …
Two Hackensack (NJ) police officers have been charged with falsifying records after an off-duty probationary officer allegedly crashed his car on his way home from a bar, according to the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office.
And I quote (V) …
Police believe 71-year-old Juan Lopez struck and killed 11-year-old Super Herebia Thursday night. Lopez was driving on the West Side when he hit the boy at the intersection of Old Highway 90 and Southwest 36th Street. Lopez left the scene, but witnesses followed him to make sure he returned.
Super, who given his name because he was born on Superbowl Sunday.
And I quote (VI) …
Grand Junction Police are searching for two men who hit two other men with a pickup truck following a fight early Sunday morning.
Police say just before 2 a.m. Sunday police were called to Tequila’s Bar on Highway 6 & 50 for an assault.
When officers arrived they found two men with traumatic injuries near the Carl’s Junior nearby. They also say a woman was at the scene with facial wounds. … Witnesses tell police the men were driving around the area and hit the two victims.
And I quote (VII) …
A woman who is facing charges of aggravated drink driving has claimed that she felt forced to flee a summer get-together with friends when the host announced that group sex would be following the coffee.
And I quote (VIII) …
One of Germany’s best-known rock stars was jailed for two years and three months on Monday for causing a near-fatal road accident while high on a cocktail of drugs and fleeing the scene.
Caught, convicted, court appearance or car-on-car in … Minneapolis; St. Petersburg, Fla. (suspect pictured); Titusville, Fla.; Pacioma, Cal.; Alachua, Fla.; Moultrie, Ga.; Bear, Del.; Colorado Springs, Co.; Twin Lake, MI;
More hit-and-run stories, including every volume of Hit-and-Run America (in reverse order), are accessible from this linked page. (The full Volume-by-Volume list will appear sporadically from now on.).