881. Grandview, Mo. Sept. 19. 4-year-old girl struck and killed by an older, mid-size brown or brownish-gold pickup which didn’t stop to save her.
882. Visalia, Cal. Sept. 18. 28-year-old and 30-year-old man injured after being struck by a tan 2004 Ford Expedition, license number 6HMR126.
883. Springfield, Ill. Sept. 17. 42-year-old man on a bicycle injured after being struck by a Pontiac Grand Am driven by a teenage girl which fled the scene.
884. Goochland, Va. Sept. 18. 17-year-old boy killed after being struck by an undetermined vehicle which took off.
885. Denver, Colo. Sept. 20. Man in his 50s struck and killed by a dark-colored (possibly blue) sedan which fled the scene.
886. Petaluma, Cal. Sept. 20. 53-year-old woman suffers moderate injuries after being struck by a older model white Ford pickup with a two-tone burgundy strip and a chrome bumper which fled the scene.
887. Carlsbad, Cal. Sept. 14. 23-year-old man suffers severe leg injuries after being struck by a gray, late model, convertible Chrysler Sebring which didn’t stay at the scene.
888. San Clemente, Cal.; Sept. 17. 17-year-old skateboarder struck by a dark SUV which fled the scene.
889. Prince George’s County, Md. Sept. 19. 30-year-old woman (law student and Green Party candidate for Senate) critically injured after being struck by an SUV which fled while riding her bicycle. The driver didn’t stop because she thought she hit a deer but called police when she realized she’d dragged a bicycle after impact.
890. Fresno, Cal. Sept. 20. 6-year-old child suffers head injury after being struck by a gold Pontiac Grand Am which fled the scene.
Related stories:And I quote (I) …
Alex Balluff, a former standout St. Francis High School student-athlete who suffered traumatic brain injuries when hit by a drunk driver while walking along Duluth’s Rice Lake Road last October, was struck again by a vehicle while walking near his home early Tuesday morning.
Alex’s mother, Debbie, said her 19-year-old son was attempting to commit suicide when he jumped in front of a vehicle about 3 a.m. on a county road about a half-mile from their Oak Grove home, 36 miles northwest of Minneapolis.
“Alex told police, ‘My life is so screwed up. I just wanted to end my life,’ ’’ Debbie Balluff said. “He’s very remorseful. He feels awful that his brain would have him do something like this.”
And I quote (II) …
A Waterbury man was arrested Monday after he led police on a high-speed chase through several towns and then tried fleeing across the Naugatuck River in Ansonia, according to police.
And I quote (III) …
SANTA ANA – “I did a horrible thing.”
That was the reaction from suspected drunken driver Andrew Thomas Gallo during a police interview on April 9, 20009 shortly after he was told by Fullerton police detectives that he had killed three people in a car crash.
Caught, convicted, court appearance or car-on-car in … Holland, NY; Lenexa, Kan.; Sacramento, Cal.; Anchorage, Alaska; Tulsa, Okla.; Willow Grove, Pa.; Sun Valley, Idaho; Stirling, Cal.; Helena, Montana.
More hit-and-run stories, including every volume of Hit-and-Run America (in reverse order), are accessible from this linked page. (The full Volume-by-Volume list will appear sporadically from now on.)