The police had been chasing the car, which matched the description of the shoplifters’ getaway car given by a clerk at the drugstore, at 86th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. Patrol officers tried to pull the car over, but the driver eluded them, hitting another automobile on 87th Street before running down Ms. Schmeer.
The men fled on foot, but the police arrested the driver, identified as David McKie, 25, of Coral Gables, Fla., and Brooklyn. The police were still searching for the other two men. Mr. McKie was charged with second-degree murder.
Ms. Schmeer was a principal collaborator with the director Errol Morris, editing the Academy Award-winning portrait of Robert McNamara, the former defense secretary, in 2003, and 1997’s “Fast, Cheap and Out of Control.” She also edited the 2005 Sydney Pollack film, “Sketches of Frank Gehry.”
At least they caught the douchebag who tried to get away with stealing pills from the CVS, not to mention murder. I’d vote to shoot him up. The rest of the jury probably wouldn’t.
Back to the list…
25. Jan. 29. Tiffin, Ohio. 57-year-old in mall parking lot hit by black four-door car, possibly a Honda or Mitsubishi. Ran over her leg twice. “The driver of the vehicle was described as a Hispanic male who may have had a female passenger.”
26. Jan. 30. Orono, Maine. 20-year-old University of Maine elementary-ed major found dead amid possible evidence she was struck by car.
27. Saugus, Mass. 81-year-old man killed by “a smaller SUV. That’s the only thing we have to go on. No color. Nothing. There may be damage on the right side of the vehicle or to the windshield.”
28. Detroit, Jan. 28. Yet-identified man struck by unidentified car on highway.
29. Birmingham, Al. Jan. 28. 54-year-old man crossing highway struck by a dark colored Honda SUV; driver never slowed down or stopped.
30. Cambridge, Mass. 48-year-old woman struck by car she couldn’t identify. Minor injuries.
** There’s so many more from overseas and Canada, not to mention a slew of trials, and ones that lead to an immediate arrest after a short chase.